One of the most intriguing elements of online marketing and hottest buzz words in online marketing is SEO, or search engine optimization. Our goal in this article is to explain what exactly is meant when referring to SEO and ultimately, how to successfully organize an SEO campaign.
The goal of search engine optimization is to increase a website’s visitor traffic, and ultimately, converting those visitors into prospects by earning a higher search engine placement for specific keywords in a search query. The best way to accomplish a higher placement for your target audience is to create valuable and original content that is unique from your competitors. Many companies forget to focus on the unique and original content and focus on ranking well for a few keywords. When approaching search engine optimization, the fastest way to success is providing valuable information, and a lot of it.
Before generating your content, take time to plan ahead to be successful with the process. Here are some basic steps on how to organize your search engine optimization campaign:
Step 1 – Select Keywords
Initially you must brainstorm for keywords that you would like your website to be identified for in the search engines. Search these keywords in a search engine and see how your competition is using those keywords in their content and how you will direct them to your audience.
Step 2 – Identify Your Competitor’s Keywords
Identify and determine the best search terms on your competitors websites and see if those terms should be added to your list. Do not use trademarked or unique terms used by your competition as this may lead to legal difficulties.
Step 3 – Combine Your Keywords
After optimizing your main keywords that are searched most often in search engines, try focusing on the secondary terms and phrases that may be searched. This can be accomplished by adding additional pages to your website and writing articles on these secondary terms, or just writing more content in your main articles.
Step 4 – Repeat Steps 1-3
Search engine optimization is an ongoing process and to remain highly relevant in search engine rankings, your website has to continue to add new content. Remember that the more long-tail content you have on your website, the higher the chances of showing up in a higher variety of searches.
In order for the process above to work, it is vital that your website is updated regularly with unique and informative content. The tools below will help you maximize your information outreach to the internet.
Develop a Content-Rich Website
The most important placement tip in obtaining significant web traffic counts is to be on the first page search engine results. An absolutely necessary step is to build a great content-rich site, and properly submit your site to search engines or directories. It is the middle step of generating the appropriate content and third party linking that is often ignored. There are numerous techniques to use when creating a content rich website. Some of the most common tools include:
- It’s very helpful to send frequent news releases or updates on your firm. Try to find multiple and frequent reasons to write articles.
- Write articles with your customers and prospects in mind.
- Optimize their delivery by linking the articles back to your website, send them to news release distribution services, and offer an RSS (Rich Site Summary or Really Simple Syndication) news feed
- Start your own blog on your website and place your articles on the blog
- Comment on popular, active blogs in your industry
- Use blogs to gather market intelligence and to get your viewpoint out there
- Put links to your blog on your website and in your e-mail signature
- Publish your blog URL in offline marketing materials such as newsletters and brochures
- A podcast is a type of digital media that includes a series of audio, video, PDF or ePub files that is streamed online through your computer or mobile device. The term derived from “broadcast” and “pod” from the success of the iPod, as podcasts are often listened to on portable media players
- Create audio or video podcasts and link them to your website
- Put links to your podcasts everywhere
- Promote upcoming podcasts in your news releases
- Incorporate a message board on your website or set up a business social media page to hear feedback
- Participate in the discussion
Finally, Don’t Get Penalized
- Search engines, like Google, will actually penalize websites if you try to fool them into giving you a false ranking. Essentially, there is no easy way to perform search engine optimization; rather it is best to take the challenging approach of trying to be better than your entire online competition.
The search engine optimization process is a long, but straightforward process. If you’re interested in learning more about our process and/or services please contact us.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have regarding this information or our services. We would like to hear from you and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your business specific needs. Please visit our website at iGenMedia.com or call our offices at 630 930 0900 or Contact Us.
Article by Stuart H. Schisgall - iGen Account Manager - Stu is a graduate of Kenyon College with certifications in project management and marketing from Northwestern University and New York University. His experience and expertisese include: web marketing, search engine marketing (SEM) and optimization (SEO), new media marketing, social media, journalism and account management.